RM2 on Country Area 401 en route to Redhill
RM2 February 2014
Built at London Transport’s Chiswick works, the bus entered service in 1957, based at Reigate Garage, and finished in Country Area green livery.
It was not long before it was repainted in Central Area red livery, and put to work on route 91 to London Airport as Heathrow was then known.
There were four Routemaster prototypes, and they were all originally fitted with a more rounded front end than appeared on the production versions of the bus.
RM2 has undergone extensive restoration at the Museum Depot at Acton and has its front end rebuilt to the original appearance. The Friends funded this work which was completed in time for the bus to appear at the Routemaster 60th celebrations in Finsbury Park in July 2014. The bus subequently appeared in the Year of the Bus cavalcade in Regent Street.
RM 2 is restored in its original green livery. The photographs show the bus as first in service on country route 406; the on-going restoration work on the bus at the Museum’s Acton Depot, and the bus in 2015, photograhed at the same spot on Epsom Downs as the original 1957 black and white photo.