Met jubilee coach 353
Steam hauled Jubilee stock near Rickmansworth in the 1890s
Carriage 353 In use on Shrivernham farm
Carriage 353 unrestored at the Depot
Lavishly restored 335 interior
353 in service at the 150th celebrations
Dating back to 1892, the coach is known as Jubilee stock, as the first examples were constructed in 1887 – the year of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
The restoration was part of an overall project costing £500,000, of which the larger share was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. As well as the restoration of the coach itself, the project included an important skills transfer element, enabling apprentices to learn the skill of coach restoration and to transfer that practical knowledge to other restoration projects.
Restoration of the coach was completed in late 2012, in time for it to operate on the special steam trains for the Underground 150 celebrations.
- 1892 Built by Cravens (Sheffield) for Met Railway.
- 1907 Withdrawn and sold to Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway (WCPR), Somerset.
- 1940 Withdrawn on closure of WCPR and sold by GWR for use by military tailors at Shrivenham, Wilts. Later a US military mess-room.
- Post-war Used as private dwelling and antiques shop, later a farm out-building.
- 1974 Offered to London Transport Museum in part-exchange for a railway platform seat. Kept by LTM in unrestored condition.
- 2012 Restored at Ffestiniog Railway, Portmadog, with funds provided by HLF and LTM Friends.
- 2013 Operated in passenger service as part of Underground 150 steam train programme. Also loaned for use on the Epping – Ongar Railway and at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.